[mapserver-dev] [gdal-dev] New env. var. to make it easier to test/debug web services

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Oct 2 13:25:03 PDT 2014

Le jeudi 02 octobre 2014 22:18:27, Jeff McKenna a écrit :
> On 2014-10-02 5:09 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

> >> Would be super cool!  It would list the -nh and -v options (I don't know
> >> of other options).
> >
> > With my latest commit, and default configuration :
> >
> > $ mapserv --help
> > Usage: mapserv [--help] [-v] [-nh] [QUERY_STRING=value]
> >
> > Options :
> >    -h, --help              Display this help message
> >    -v                      Display version and exit.
> >    -nh                     Suppress HTTP headers in CGI mode.
> >    QUERY_STRING=value      Set the QUERY_STRING in GET request mode.
> >
> > When compiled with -DMS_ENABLE_CGI_CL_DEBUG_ARGS
> >
> > $ mapserv --help
> > Usage: mapserv [--help] [-v] [-nh] [QUERY_STRING=value]
> >
> >                 [-tmpbase dirname] [-t mapfilename] [MS_ERRORFILE=value]
> >                 [MS_DEBUGLEVEL=value]
> >
> > Options :
> >    -h, --help              Display this help message
> >    -v                      Display version and exit.
> >    -nh                     Suppress HTTP headers in CGI mode.
> >    QUERY_STRING=value      Set the QUERY_STRING in GET request mode.
> >    -tmpbase dirname        Define a forced temporary directory.
> >    -t mapfilename          Display the tokens of the mapfile after
> >    parsing. MS_ERRORFILE=filename   Set error file.
> >    MS_DEBUGLEVEL=value     Set debug level.
>
> Wow that is great.
>
> Why limit the other options with a specific compile setting though?

I didn't change this. They are currently enabled conditionaly. I'm not sure
why. Perhaps for security reasons, since they imply reading a file (-t),
overriding the temporary directory (-tmpbase), creating a file (MS_ERRORFILE) ?

    /* Keep only "-v", "-nh" and "QUERY_STRING=..." enabled by default.
     * The others will require an explicit -DMS_ENABLE_CGI_CL_DEBUG_ARGS
     * at compile time.
     */

> >> The default message is, not fully correct:
> >>     "This script can only be used to decode form results and should be
> >>
> >> initiated as a CGI process via a httpd server"
> >
> > Any suggestion ?
>
> How about:  "This script is commonly used to decode form results and
> should be initiated as a CGI process via an httpd server.  For other
> options please try using the --help switch."

Done

http://www.spatialys.com