[mapserver-dev] SLD <Label> conformance in MapServer

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Mar 18 06:11:56 PDT 2020

Hi Jérome,

Wow old tickets, enjoyable read ha.  Personally I feel that you should
proceed as you were initially thinking (change so that we conform to OGC
spec), and as long as we update the docs and include this in something
like the 8.0 release with mention in Migration Guide, users will just be
happy to have someone actively maintaining SLD support, as it has sat
untouched for many years.  Thank you for this effort!

-jeff

On 2020-03-18 8:19 a.m., jbo-ads wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As users around me start using SLD in MapServer, they find some issues.
> One of them is related on how <Label> contents should be parsed. This
> made me dig up issues #1737 and #1857
> (https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/1857).
>
> What puzzles me is how <Label>Lorem_Ipsum</Label> is currently handled:
> MapServer interprets it as an attribute: "[Lorem_Ipsum]" in Mapfile
> syntax, whereas one would expect, according to OGC spec, a plain text
> string: "Lorem_Ipsum".
>
> On one hand I would like to make changes to improve MapServer
> conformance with respect to OGC specification. But on the other hand I
> don't want to break existing configurations.
>
> How should I address that?
>
> Jérome.

Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/