[mapserver-dev] Versioned MapServer Docs?

Yves Jacolin yves.jacolin at camptocamp.com
Fri Mar 19 00:59:07 PDT 2021

Hello,

>From my point of view, I agree mostly with Jeff. Having both deprecated and
added version is interesting even if we are using an older (or later)
version of MS. I understand Even position though and may be we should
remove too old deprecated version 4.x and 5.x are so old. 6.x release are
probably still widely used.

Thank you all!

Y.

Le ven. 19 mars 2021 à 00:31, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>
a écrit :

> The user also wants to see ALL possibilities, not necessarily just for a
> specific version.  I know, software devs think a user just needs to know
> what is available for that version that the user has installed, but
> actually the user wants to know what is possible, and when it was added,
> and then adjust the installation method if needed.
>
> I just see this as a typical difference in how software developers think
> versus how a user thinks, and I don't mean this in a bad way, I just
> think, from my experience, this is the constant challenge in managing
> software (and why the person writing the code should never be the one
> who documents it).
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2021-03-18 8:25 p.m., Jeff McKenna wrote:
> > I also think here we have a difference between how a core developer
> > works (on main, building from source) and then how a typical software
> > user works (using a binary/package built by someone else, often a much
> > older MapServer version), so those one-line notes of version added
> > (which is absolutely irrelevant to a core developer who uses the latest
> > source each day) become what I would call a total "lifeline" to a user,
> > so they can know what parameters work with their old installed package.
> >
> > -jeff
> >

> > On 2021-03-18 8:18 p.m., Jeff McKenna wrote:
> >> As a user I'm constantly relying on those 'added in 5.0' notes, this
> >> is the information that a user needs and craves in the actual user
> >> document (not separate deep in an RFC document).  I see these version
> >> notes (a single line that is nicely color coded often) as always
> >> relevant, as users need to know when a parameter was added (and
> >> especially those ones that aren't always fresh & mentioned, such as
> >> old 5.0 ones etc).
> >>
> >> -jeff

> version'

> something

> Jeff McKenna
> GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training
> co-founder of FOSS4G
> http://gatewaygeo.com/

Yves Jacolin
Training and support manager - Team Manager
Camptocamp

Tel (France) : +33 4 58 48 20 43
Tel (Switzerland) : +41 21 619 10 43
Mob. : +33 6 18 75 42 21