[mapserver-dev] master MapServer docs online?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Sep 17 17:03:09 PDT 2021

Hi Seth,

I see my initial answer then, just a few months ago, still stands for me:

"Speaking openly here, if I was paid fulltime to manage the docs and all
the different build versions of the docs, and publishing them online, I
could see how that would be possible; but as we are made up of
volunteers, I would prefer to keep the single version updated with
references to when the feature was added (what MapServer version), and
if it is deprecated.  I remember recently spending much effort on that
in-line versioning improvements, I think that is working nicely now."

I recently gave a State of MapServer presentation (last week) and had to
give a few demos, but I setup my own server for those demos - for a
status report I don't think we should begin a new live branch and then
commit to maintain both sets of documents.

As part of this I also maintain the PDF versions for the documentation,
and generating them - adding another live branch is, just too much.

Again, if this was my fulltime paid job, absolutely, bring it on, as I'd
be fulltime working on this.  The reality is that, whatever we add here
now, in a few years I'll be stuck maintaining by myself.  I honestly
prefer, from experience, to stick with one visible/maintained branch of
MapServer documentation.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training