MapServer and OGC WMT specs

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed May 3 15:47:26 EDT 2000

We have a plan in place to make MapServer fully OGC compliant as a
server AND a client. Sorta waiting for funding though. The wrapper you
speak of is not based on MapScript. Plans are to leverage MapScript
heavily when building the OGC wrappers. Folks at the UMN can speak
to timelines.

As far as I know nobody has compiled MapScript on NT. I don't suspect
many have tried. The SWIG (swig.sourceforge.net) website details how
to build modules for use with ActiveState's perl release. ActiveState has
probably the best NT perl release.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Daniel Morissette <danmo at videotron.ca> 05/03/00 01:56PM >>>
Hi,

We have a client that wants to setup a network of satellite servers
based on MapServer and compliant with the OGC-WMT specs.  I know that a
little while ago, Doug Nebert made available a first version of an
OGC-WMT wrapper for MapServer written in MapScript.  I haven't given
this wrapper a try yet, but I would be interested in hearing the status
of that project and any other effort that might be happening on that
front... I would rather spend my time improving (and promoting) an
existing solution than start another one from scratch.

Also, since Doug's wrapper uses Perl, and our client wants to use some
WinNT servers, I would be interested in hearing from groups that have
succesfully used the Perl version of MapScript on Win NT.  I am already
familiar with compiling, installing and using MapServer on NT, but I
haven't used Perl on NT myself, so I am looking for hints on the best
Perl solution with Apache on WinNT, and also any MapScript compilation
and setup issues, if any... etc.

Thanks,
 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca
              http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/