MapServer and OGC WMT specs

Rob Atkinson rob at socialchange.net.au
Thu May 4 17:22:26 EDT 2000

Hi,

the perl wrapper is workable but needs some work.

also JRC in Italy have built a mapscript version using WMS 0.1 - this is trivial
to update to WMS 1.0. Its at the same level of complexity.
I have mapserv and the wrapper running on UNIX and NT - in fact its all running
under W98 on my laptop.

TODO #1: We need to build a GML response to getFeatureInfo query - GML issues
are being thrashed out now - this should be easy enough to do.

TODO #2: The big issue is CGI control over projection - I've yet to see a
working example of the syntax and havent had time to reverse engineer the code
to try. The script will have to map EPSG codes into mapserver (PROJ 4)
equivalents.

TODO #3: we ought to give it the ability to parse the .map file and build the
capabilities XML automatically.

The wrapper can run on any web server - so we dont need to have access to the
actual installation to make it WMS compliant - however to parse the map file we
would. Any ideas how best to overcome that?

Rob Atkinson