Passing a gdImagePtrPtr type

Chris Fuhrman cfuhrman at tfcci.com
Thu May 11 12:11:09 EDT 2000

Howdy,

Having an interesting problem with getting MapScript/Perl to correctly
pass a gdImagePtrPtr type to a subroutine (you get a gdImagePtrPtr type
when you call $MapObj->prepareImage()).  What's happening is that I'm
finding that the gdImagePtrPtr type is exceptionally volatile.  Here's an
example of what I'm trying to do:

main : {

  # blah blah blah

  $img = $map->prepareImage();

  RenderBase($dbh,
  	     $cgi,
             $img);

  # Do some other stuff ...

  mapscript::msSaveImage($img, "temp.png", 1, 1);

} # main

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  It produces a blank image.  I believe
that somewhere down the line, $img is getting clobbered at one point or
else is pointing to memory that's been deallocated.  Now, something like
this *does* work:

sub MySubroutine {

  $img = $map->prepareImage();

  # Generate Image ...

  mapscript::msSaveImage($img, "temp.png", 1, 1);

} # MySubroutine

Essentially, what I'm trying to do is successfully pass $img to a
subroutine and then get the new value back.  I've tried the following to
no avail:

* Make $img a global variable

* Pass in $img and make the subroutine return the new value

* Pass in $img as a reference and dereference it within the subroutine.

* Pass in $img as a regular variable and assume it's pointing to the
  correct data.

I've gone through the perl debugger and it looks like $img is pointing to
the same address space throughout which leads me to the conclusion that
somewhere down the line, the memory is getting deallocated.

Chris Fuhrman           | Twenty First Century Communications
cfuhrman at tfcci.com      | Software Engineer
(W) 614-442-1215 x271   |
(F) 614-442-5662        | PGP/GPG Public Key Available on Request