Optimizing Data Base for GeoData

Chris Fuhrman cfuhrman at tfcci.com
Tue May 23 09:00:24 EDT 2000

Howdy,

This might be slightly off topic, but I've presently got a
web-based mapping/reporting system that I've got up-and-running.  I'm
using the MapScript perl module and am talking to a Postgres Data Base
with all the geodata on it.  The layout of the data base is similar to an
ESRI shapefile (I can be more detailed if you want).

The main problem I'm having is data base performance.  I've tinkered with
the data base and have added enough indexes to make a considerable
difference in performance.  I've also limited the number of layers I'm
drawing when my scale is above a certain point.

It looks like what we'll have to do is simply purchase faster
hardware.  When I moved the data base from a Solaris x86 box (either a
P-233 or an AMD K6-300) to a Linux Box (450MHz K6-III) I got close to a
50% improvement and that's with the Linux box running the web server, perl
script, AND Postgres.  If anyone has any additional recommendations as far
as laying out the data base is concerned, please let me know.

Also, anyone have any experience with Oracle Spatial?  Is it worth the $$?

Finally, if anyone wishes to use PostgreSQL as a low-cost solution for
writing a GIS type application, I can heartily recommend it.  It comes
with some nice geographic data types and functions.  It also plays well
with Perl.

--
Chris Fuhrman           | Twenty First Century Communications
cfuhrman at tfcci.com      | Software Engineer