map like this

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue May 23 12:20:43 EDT 2000

Lot's of ways depending on where the geographic thesaurus data
resides, whether you're using the mapserv cgi program or mapscript.
In general though you'll probably need to use dynamic features given
on the URL. Based on the place search you'll identify a place. You can
use it's coordinate to create a map extent and can place the point
and annotation dynamically.

If you have a layer called mypoint that defines how the place should
be symbolized and annotated then adding

...&layer=mypoint&map_mypoint_feature=new&map_mypoint_feature_points=some x+some y&map_mypoint_feature_text=place+name...

There are ways to make this sticky in templates too.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Ma <marin at here.is> 05/22/00 06:59PM >>>
I have the dataset. How can I build such a map interface on-fly (i.e.
only  the marker and the label on the map)?

---
Ma