[mapserver-users] Mapserver v. 3.5 with SDE support

Ballard,Lowell LBallard at YesVirginia.org
Thu Aug 16 14:05:45 EDT 2001

Sort of slammed right now but I can give you the quickie SDE compilation I
did on RedHat 7.1:

1. put in your /etc/services file a line for the SDE service (e.g., esri_sde
5151/tcp)

2. obtain the SDE client libraries for Linux or whatever from the CDs (note
version e.g., 8.0 or 8.1)

3. when you configure SDE you will need to include 2 things:

--with-sde[=DIR]        Include ESRI SDE support (DIR is SDE's install dir).
--with-sde-version[=VERSION NUMBER]        Set ESRI SDE verion number
(Default is 80).

The first tells mapserv where those client libraries are on your hard drive

The second tells it what version to compile (i.e., did you use the client
libraries from the 8.0.x disc or the 8.1 disc).

In your .map file to access SDE layers do this:

LAYER
  NAME sites
  TYPE POLYGON
  CONNECTION "matoaka,esri_sde,gisdb,data,PASSWORD"
  CONNECTIONTYPE sde
  DATA "sites,shape"
#  DATA va_sites
  STATUS ON
  CLASSITEM "site_no"
  LABELITEM "site_no"
  SYMBOLSCALE 100000
  MAXSCALE 100000
  LABELMAXSCALE 35000
  HEADER sites_header.html
  CLASS
    NAME "Sites"
    EXPRESSION /./
    COLOR 161 167 135
    TEMPLATE sites.html

where shape is the field in the SDE/Oracle/etc. database.

Hope that helps....