[mapserver-users] OGC specs

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jun 5 16:57:10 EDT 2001

Rob Atkinson wrote:

> Even better, under WMS a layer can be a nested hierarchy, so you could have a series of layers that form a series - at a certain scale turn on "interstates" and at a larger scale turn it off and turn on "goattracks" - and call this a single layer transport
>
> This would currently require a hand built Capabilities but would be entirely consistent with mapservers current capabilities, the WMS spec and the possible user requirements. 3 out of 3 aint bad - but really the mapserver datamodel being able to group layers by a single logical name would make this much easier to configure.

Just for the record, MapServer does support grouping of layers via the
LAYER's GROUP name in the mapfiles.  However MapServer's WMS support in
version 3.5 does not *yet* take advantage of this, but it will soon...
it's on my TODO list.

I guess that does not completely solve the scale problem but at least
it will be a step in the right direction.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca