[mapserver-users] Mapserver with Geotiff (fwd)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 7 08:47:08 EDT 2001

teb at mallit.fr.umn.edu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>   I am trying to configure and build Mapserver 3.4 with Geotiff 1.1.4
> support.  However, I cannot find how to do this.  I do find regular tiff
> support using --with-tiff, but this doesn't find the libgeotiff support.
> How do you ./configure mapserver with geotiff?
>
> Nathan Froseth
> nfro at satshot.com

Nathan,

MapServer only reads the Geotiff pixel size and tiepoint tags, and does
so without using libgeotiff.  So that is why there is no option related
to configuring in libgeotiff.  While this simplifies things, it does mean
that MapServer doesn't read the coordinate system definition automatically
... you have to enter it yourself in the .MAP file.

On the up side, the GDAL support built into the CVS MapServer, does utilize
libgeotiff (internally) and can automatically build the PROJ.4 style
projection style definition for the layer.  I believe GDAL is currently
using libgeotiff 1.1.4.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Best regards,