[mapserver-users] Feature Suggestions?

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Jun 18 15:02:29 EDT 2001

I'll second dave on this one.

Sometimes changes coming to an upcoming release of MapServer can involve a
fair amount of work, since things aren't allways completely backwards
compatible (i.e. MapFiles).  For people using MapServer actively in
production environments (such as myself) knowing what changes are abound
would help a great deal in planning future development/migrations.

This is even more applicable to MapScript/PHP, where certain versions are
bound to certain PHP versions and so on ... (I'm stuck with this now, I want
to upgrade my PHP environment, which means I have to upgrade my
php_mapscript.so, which means I HAVE to review the mapfile and recreate a
lot of line symbology without the STYLED key word, which is a fair amount of
work).

As for the wish list, that'd be good too ... I have a couple of wishes in my
back pocket ...
Along those lines, but on a slightly different topic, it would be nice if
people we more open about the things they do with MapServer.  For instance,
we are doing all this work to integrate OGC support into it, but I recall
having seen people mentionning they'd done it allready in their shops.  It's
too bad these changes weren't returned to MapServer.  Sometimes I get the
impression we all go through a lot of duplicated efforts.  ( iknow myself
and others have worked on putting the Mapfile stuff into a DB for instance,
which is part of my wishlist) ... A central repository of who's doing what
with/around MapServer would be most helpful in coordinating and not
duplicating efforts.

My 2 cents ...
J.F.