[mapserver-users] accessing GD functions

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jun 19 10:57:18 EDT 2001

Vincent Jansen wrote:

> I have Mapserver compiled with GD 1.2 up and running in a Solaris/Apache/PHP
> environment.
> Now I wish to access PHP GD functions, but I don't know how to do this.
> Can anyone help get started ?

MapServer/MapScript uses GD to render the maps but it doesn't give you
access to PHP's GD functions.

To use PHP GD functions, you would need a PHP compiled with GD in, or
get a PHP_GD extension somewhere.  On Unix, I guess the easiest is to
recompile PHP with the --with-gd=PATH switch then have a look at the
docs at http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php

Note that if you want to use MapScript with a PHP that has GD compiled
in then you should make sure both use the exact same version of the GD
library otherwise you might notice odd behaviors or even crashes.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca