[mapserver-users] MrSID Format

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jun 19 16:38:04 EDT 2001

I've spent time with these folks as well. Without support for Linux or any UNIXes I
see little reason to add a reader. They don't have any schedule for when or even
if non-windows platform versions might be available.

I have heard very good things about the compression but I find the win32 limitations
a bit frustrating.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

Stephen Lime wrote:
>LizardTech has been a pain to deal with. They want editorial control of
>the use
>of their SDK in products. The SDK is also available for a limited number of
>platforms, Linux not being among them. I'm also not sure that the SDK could
>even be used for free.

On a related note, I have had very good luck with ECW compression.  The
compressor, application plug-ins, and SDK are all free. I would recommend
it over MrSid any day. Check it out at: http://www.ermapper.com

Just my $0.02 worth,
Rich

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS