[mapserver-users] Compiling MapScript

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Jun 25 15:49:15 EDT 2001

The first scripting interface was ActiveX based and was being developed
about the same time as the first versions of MapScript. I'm not sure what
happened to that effort. PHP came along after the initial version of MapScript
and has tried very hard to provide an almost identical interface. There's
nothing inherent about the MapServer architecture that prohibits a win32 only
scripting extension. I'm not a windows user and haven't been especially
interested in writing it, plus SWIG is so darned slick I've gotten lazy. I do think
it would be a great addition, I'm just not gonna be the one to do it, ;->.

That said it should be doable, pretty easily too given the main MapScript
interface and the PHP implementation as guides. I would encourage any
such development stay in sync with the main interface so that we could
largely use the same set of docs.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Hankley, Chip" <Chip.Hankley at gasai.com> 06/25/01 10:24AM >>>
I'm hoping to get a little history / direction from the gurus...

I would like to use VBScript (ASP)...instead of PHP or PERL or Java...as the
scripting interface for MapServer. I'm searching the archives on this, and
am only finding a couple of references from a couple of years ago to ASP /
VBScript...

What happened? Is the architecture of MapServer simply not amenable to using
VBScript? Anybody have any idea how difficult this would be (assuming I know
a little bit of C++)?

Cheers!

Chip

Chip Hankley

P.S. I have no problem with PHP...been using it, think it's great. Everyone
else in my company uses ASP, so, it would be a lot easier to work as a
"team" if we were using the same scripting environment.