[mapserver-users] Is MapServer for me?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Nov 19 12:30:49 EST 2001

Klaus Drechsler wrote:

> 1.
> I have a client with a gps receiver. With the gps-coordinates I want
> to query a server and get back the location where I am (city-name or
> street name or both ...) as ***ascii string*** (without a map) ...

Mapserver with Mapscript could do this. There is no rule that you have
to render a map in response to a query. Just run the query in mapscript
and then return the requisite string. The real trick will be figuring
out what constitutes being "on a street" based on a single GPS query
point. (Within 20 meters of a street? If within 20 meters of two
streets, then which street are you "on"?)

--
      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey