[mapserver-users] Displaying very large shapefiles, problem solved

Armin Burger armin.burger at territoriumonline.com
Thu Oct 18 04:32:33 EDT 2001

Hi,

thanks to Puneet Kishor, Ed McNierney, Ross Searle, and Paul Ramsey for
their help.

I think I could sort out the problem. It was related to the binary I was
using. Changing it to the latest version made it possible to display the
large shapefile. The one used before crashed with some newly created index
file and seemed therefore to have general problems with some indexes.

I noticed also remarkable processing speed difference between an index with
depth 10 and 20 (I always used only a maximum of 10 because I found the
range between 4 and 10 mentioned once in the mailing list archive). The
index with depth 20 had ten times the size than the one with 10 and reduced
processing time from about 15 seconds to 5 seconds. So Puneet's hint with
the too small index size was right.

If PostGIS ist as fast as Ross mentioned I will also think about that and
give it a try in future.

Thanks again

Armin

--