[mapserver-users] Runaway process and other wierdness

Bruno Gendron bruno_gendron at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 09:11:54 EST 2001

Hi Tim, hello everyone,

I began having the same exact problems recently
(except from the scalebar bug), with ms3.5 (not cvs)
on Mandrake 8, Apache 1.3.X, php 4.0.5 and
php-mapscript. I'm not using the CGI version of
MapServer, only php-mapscript.

>From my experiments, if php encounters any error while
a mapscript session is in progress (in my case, my php
script had a small warning, not fatal, error that was
catched by an error management routine), the http
thread does not terminate properly, leading in a
thread "leak". After I solved this error, the leak
ALMOST disappeared, although i cannot certify that
this was only a coding issue on my behalf. Could it be
a "keep-alive" problem with php or apache?

Like you, I also get random map images from previous
requests appearing in my browser: even worse, other
users of the app sometimes get map images from each
other's requests!

2 possible explanations:

- Apache gets mixed-up with it's connections, sending
data on wrong connections (could it be possible!!!),

- or the map image filename created by Mapserver (in
my case php-mapscript) is not really UNIQUE filenames,
so one image gets could get cached by the browser and
displayed back later if the map image filename is the
same...

I will, this morning, modify my php scripts to
generate, from within php, a randomly generated
kind-of-unique filename to see if it solves anything.
I will also modify my app to send a bogus
randomly-generated http-post parameter to trick the
browser cache, and I will get back with my results...

--
Bruno Gendron

 --- Tim Sutton <sutton_t at giug.net> a écrit : > Hi