[mapserver-users] Mapserver itemquery - hand off to database engine

Dave Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Wed Sep 5 19:58:15 EDT 2001

I've had a few requests from people using PostGIS and item queries.

It appears that mapserver is requesting the entire dataset and doing the
item query search itself.  It would be very much faster if it just
handed this search off to the database engine.

So, how do I go about making these modification?  I looked at
"msQueryByAttributes()" and it might make sense, for PostGIS and SDE
layers, to just throw the attribute query into the layer's filter.  It
seems like the path of least resistance because a normal
msLayerWhichShapes() can be called.  What are the implications of doing
something like this?  What about modifying other queries?

dave