[mapserver-users] Mapserver Applications Worldwide

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Sep 27 16:50:11 EDT 2001

- big projects. On our own stuff we tend to be Minnesota bound, but that just
lends itself to more detail. Sheer numbers of features don't necessarily matter
as much as feature detail. The Recreation Compass uses ~30 layers totaling
~250Mb vector and 13Gb raster. The app answers around 10k requests a
day. I do know of others managing far larger datasets (but no more detailed)
such as nationwide GDT data or nationwide TIGER. How much it can handle
is largely a function of application and data design. If you make the right data
available at the right time in the right format I think huge data volumes can
be processed.

- favorite apps. Well, I'll nominate a couple of our's here at the DNR:

1) Recreation Compass (www.dnr.state.mn.us/compass.html): It's the reason
the the MapServer exists. It's very usable and provides access to 5,000+ web
resources that really couldn't be organized any other way.

2) Data Deli (deli.dnr.state.mn.us): This site demonstrates WHY web mapping
is important to business. The site facilitates 2,400 custom data bundles each
day, and this is work that our GIS staff doesn't need to do. In fact, data requests
have gone to near nil, saving the organization a great deal of money. (I also
think it's a cool app!)

I'll let others mention their sites, there are lots of good ones out there. I assume
you're going to talk about your Atlas project which is among the best MapServer
apps I've seen.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Alexander Pucher <pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at> 09/27/01 09:15AM >>>
For an upcoming speech on webmapping I will give, I would need some
information from the guys that actually work with UMN Mapserver.

-) Experience about *big* projects. What is the maximum shape size you
use, you heard of someone uses? Layer numers, mapfile dimension etc. How
much can Mapserver handle?

-) Tell me your favourite mapserver application, that is available
online. Both in terms of technical features as well as layout. URL's
would be fine.

mfg
ALEX

Institut fuer Geographie und Regionalforschung
Universität Wien
Kartografie und Geoinformation

Departement of Geography and Regional Research
University of Vienna
Cartographie and GIS

Universitaetstr. 7, A-1010 Wien, AUSTRIA

Tel: (+43 1) 4277 48644
Fax: (+43 1) 4277 48649
E-mail: pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at

FTP: ftp://ftp.gis.univie.ac.at
WWW: http://www.gis.univie.ac.at/karto

"The toughest fight, was with my wife." -- Muhammad Ali