[mapserver-users] No errors, but no lines on output map.

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Fri Apr 5 19:08:20 EST 2002

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 02:41:23PM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Ben,
>
> Change your map file to :
>
> UNITS DD
> # extents for all of Virginia
> EXTENT -83.682000 36.543600 -74.952000 39.769180
>
> should fix your problem.

Thanks, that did at least cause something to show up.  However, I
wanted to change the layer to represent landmark features, and now
nothing will show up again (same EXTENT as you gave above).  The
output of ogrinfo on the Tiger data looks like this:

INFO: Open of `web/mapserv_demo/test/data/carroll'
using driver `TIGER' successful.
1: CompleteChain (Line String)
2: AltName (None)
3: FeatureIds (None)
4: ZipCodes (None)
5: Landmarks (Point)
6: AreaLandmarks (None)
7: KeyFeatures (None)
8: Polygon (None)
9: EntityNames (Point)
10: IDHistory (None)
11: PolyChainLink (None)
12: PIP (Point)
13: TLIDRange (None)
14: ZipPlus4 (None)

Note:
When I speak of layers below, I'm talking about the argument to
CONNECTION in a LAYER definition.  E.g.,

CONNECTON "data/carroll, 0"

I have skimmed the Tiger/LINE 2000 spec (from the Census Bureau) and
have some understanding (perhaps wrong :) of how the different record
types relate.  Based on that, I thought that I should get a map of the
roads from layer 1 (CompleteChain).  However, the only way I get any
output at all is if I use 0.  If I change the layer arg to 5 and the
LAYER TYPE to POINT, I get nothing and the result is returned very
quickly unlike what happens when I use 0 which takes quite a few
seconds.

I know that it would take a comination of layers to get the names of
the landmark features (or road names, etc), but it seems like I should
get a plot of the points.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net
OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0

Any stone in your boot always migrates against the pressure gradient to
exactly the point of most pressure.
		-- Milt Barber