[mapserver-users] Mapserver Bootstrap Group

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Aug 9 08:01:08 EDT 2002

Don,

What might be better is that you ask your questions here and then
document the answers on wiki as QuickStart or
WhatToDoAfterTheDemoWorks page. Then we will have that resource for
other people trying to get started.

Some of the common problems people have moving on from the demo are:

1) they forget to change the extents to match their new data
1a) they don't know how to figure out the extents of their data
2) they forget to change the UNITS to match their data
3) various questions about using other types of data (ie: not
shapefiles)
4) How do I add points/tracks to the map dynamically
5) various questions about how to configure their mapfiles
6) how to make the reference map
7) how to structure data multiple files into one layer (ie: like
3000+ road files on a per county basis in the US)
8) how to set up spatial indexes
9) various questions on how to use raster layers
10) various questions on how to use projections or re-project data

Anyway this is what I remember off the top of my head. I've probably
missed some key ones, but I think you can see that if you had answers
to these it would be a great help toward moving beyond the demo
application. So I ask that you keep the discussion here and I am more
than happy to help you build up a Newbies FAQ or GettingStartedGuide
or whatever you want to call it.

-Steve W.
5) How do I add labels/symbols to the map dynamically