[mapserver-users] Vector maps from different vendors with different world coordinates

Jan Kunzmann kunzmann at masterplan.de
Wed Aug 28 12:31:03 EDT 2002

Hi folks,

At the moment I do some experiments with mapserver (great piece of
software, BTW). I've downloaded two demo sets (a vector based and a
raster based from different vendors) covering parts of Berlin, Germany.

The problem is that they seem to use different world coordinates. The
raster map is shown when I use the command EXTEND 797668 5827367 800464
5830167 in the mapfile. The vector map, covering the same area, needs
EXTEND 61.59 34 61.83 34.14.

Is there a possibility to rescale one of the maps so it matches the
other one? Maybe some parameteres in the LAYER definition of the mapfile?

And, last question... is there a official "standard" for world
coordinates in shape files? I think everyone is used to measure in
degrees from the zero meridian and the equator.

Thank you in advance,
Jan