[mapserver-users] legend "feature"?

TCHaddad TCHaddad at cshore.com
Fri Aug 30 17:53:15 EDT 2002

Hello,

I just inserted a whole bunch of scale dependant classes into the layers in my mapfile, so that the symbology in my maps will change as the user zooms in and out. works very well visually.

However, I noticed that now if I generate a legend at a particular zoom level, I get all the symbols associated with every layer displayed in the map. For example, I get 3 legend entries with 3 different symbols when I turn on the layer defined below:

LAYER
  NAME  ushighway
  GROUP Roads
  STATUS OFF
  TYPE LINE
  DATA "D:/gis/ushwy"
  #MINSCALE
  MAXSCALE 3000000
  CLASS
    MAXSCALE 100000
    NAME "US Highway"
    TEMPLATE "ttf.htm"
    SYMBOL 'circle1'
    COLOR 54 54 54
    SIZE 3
    OVERLAYSYMBOL 'circle1'
    OVERLAYCOLOR 25 25 112
    OVERLAYSIZE 1
  END
 CLASS
    MAXSCALE 700000
    MINSCALE 100001
    NAME "US Highway"
    SYMBOL 'circle1'
    COLOR 25 25 112
    SIZE 2
  END
 CLASS
    MINSCALE 700001
    NAME "US Highway"
    TEMPLATE "ttf.htm"
    SYMBOL 'circle1'
    COLOR 130 130 130
    SIZE 1
  END
END

I understand if I take out the NAME item from 2 of the Classes, that I will only get one legend entry per layer, but then nothing garuntees that my legend will have the correct symbol according to my zoom level.

Is there something I am missing in my definition of the Layer, or is this a "feature" of how legends work?

TH