Re: [mapserver-users] forum français

Azimuth, Erwin Perik perik at azimuth.nl
Tue Feb 5 10:26:27 EST 2002

At 10:06 5-2-02 -0500, you wrote:
> > Starting also a dutch forum for example will spread the stuff over too many
> > places.
> > Focussing on questions and answers on one place keeps stuff closer to each
> > other.
> >

>Agreed again, and for the same reason I have doubts about the potential
>for success of any forum... even if it's english.  The main resource is
>the mailing list and if you split the users in two groups: the mailing
>list users and the forum users then you reduce the potential to get
>answers to your questions.

Ok, agree that the main source is comming in through the mailing-list.
That's why i hoped to persuide to use english, so mapserver related
discussiond don't swerve all over the internet.

>This being said, this is an Open Source project and everybody is free to
>go ahead with their own initiatives... that's why I wouldn't discourage
>them with their forum even if I don't believe that it will be a success.
>My doubts are not motivated by the language, but by the fact that it's
>apart from the main mapserver-users mailing list.
>
>We might be wrong after all... there may be enough French-speaking users
>to support it.  For most of the main contributors to MapServer,
>including myself, English is only a second language.

English being a second language for most people, it's also the language
used in most programming languages. As these are used a lot when working
with mapserver, most are fumiliar with it. Maybe not writing, but reading
it is less hard.

Can see lots of advantages/disadvantages between a forum and a mailinglist,
but time and people's preferences will learn which one will be the one the
user will prefer.