[mapserver-users] 24bit tiff and gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 7 21:22:55 EST 2002

Pushkar Pradhan wrote:

> Hi,
> I've compiled MS 3.5 with gdal:
> Banshee[284] pushkar$ mapserv -v
> MapServer version 3.5 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=TTF INPUT=TIFF
> INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>
> But when I try to display 24 bit tiff I get the foll. msg.:
> drawTIFF(): Image handling error. Only colormapped and grayscale images
> are supported.
> This is the info. for my tiff file
> Banshee[293] pushkar$ identify data/24bmosaic2001mstm.tif
> data/24bmosaic2001mstm.tif 5167x3675 DirectClass 54mb TIFF 3.6u 0:25
>
> I've gdal1.1.5 and this is the info. for it:
> Banshee[296] pushkar$ gdal-config --formats
> gxf gtiff hfa aigrid aaigrid ceos ceos2 iso8211 sdts raw dted mem jdem
> envisat elas fit gif jpeg png
>
> I have the tfw file also: 24bmosaic2001mstm.tfw
>
> **My ques. is do I have to disable TIFF support if I compile mapserver
> with GDAL? Maybe the default behaviour of MS is to use the tiff libs. read
> the tiff imgs. and not try to use GDAL after that?

Pushkar,

If you want to use GDAL for your TIFF files you need to configure and
build MapServer without direct TIFF support or the direct TIFF support
will get used in preference.  I have been sort of intending to change
the configure to disable TIFF support (unless explicitly requested during
the configure) if GDAL is configured in, but haven't gotten around to it.

Best regards,