[mapserver-users] Re: compiling Perl/Mapscript takes time

Larry Zimmerman laz at gonefishing.sk.ca
Sat Mar 2 01:35:44 EST 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:06:22 -0600
Puneet Kishor <pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com> wrote:

> Anyway, my ultimate aim is to try and make this easier for others. I
> appreciate, now more than ever, the Unix way of doing things... getting
> the source code and compiling the program from scratch. However, my Mac
> background, and the superbly seamless Aqua and Unix environment of MacOS
> X has really spoilt me. Because of standardization of layout, I wonder
> if folks do have to do this over and over again. I mean, it is so much
> easier to simply provide a mountable disk image, double-click it to
> mount it, drag and copy the entire application bundle, and you are good
> to go. That is how we do on MacOS X... it is really neat. That way I can
> spend about, say, 30 secs, on installing a new program, and then getting
> on with actually learning it and using it.

It is possible to make an installable package for Linux, Solaris, etc. using
one of the packaging tools like Redhat rpm or Debian dpkg. There is also a
packaging tool listed on Apple's website namd Installer VISE. Maybe that would
be a tool you could use to make an installable package for other Macs.

Larry Z.