[mapserver-users] python + mapscript + PIL

Vic Kelson vic at wittmanhydro.com
Sat Mar 2 13:40:17 EST 2002

Hi All,

I have it all working now, python 2.1 with mapscript and it's great.
Now, I have a question.  I can make an image using:

   import mapscript

   m = mapscript.mapObj('...')
   p = m.draw()

and I get a gdImagePtr in p.  I made this work:

   mapscript.msSaveImage(p,'myfile.png',MS_PNG,0,0,0)

and I can make a PNG file on disk.  Neato.  Then I load the image from
disk with PIL and I can tweak it.  Question: Is there a direct way to
make a PIL image from the gdImagePtr returned by mapObj.draw()?  It
would make my application a LOT easier...

THANKS for this fine product!
Vic