[mapserver-users] Continuous Raster Data

David W Bitner mapserver at gyttja.org
Thu Mar 7 14:12:31 EST 2002

 I am looking at using mapserver to serve raster information for several
 raster datasets.  These datasets are continuos floating points gridded at
 1km resolution across the coterminous US.  I plan to use tiled geotiffs
with
 overlays for display using gdal support for the tiffs.  My questions are
the
 following:

 --- Is it possible to query the values in the raster?
 ---  Each of the different rasters that I will be using deal with snow
cover
 information.... due to the nature of this, different scaling will be
 necessary in different areas of the country when zoomed in (ie if one zooms
 into an area including both the mountains in Southern California and the
 desert just to the east, the value range will be huge, whereas it would be
 important to be able to distinguish between subtle differences when zoomed
 to the snowpack in the Red River Valley of the North).  Is it possible(or,
 what would it take to make it possible) to be able to create a linear
 stretch and histogram equalization for just the data values that are
 displayed on the screen.

 Thanks,
  David