[mapserver-users] Scale/Scale Bar anomaly

imap at chesapeake.net imap at chesapeake.net
Mon Mar 11 12:52:48 EST 2002

An anomoly with scale when upgrading from mapserv3.217 to mapserv3.5.
This info reported by one of my users.  If anyone has any ideas, please
share nfo.  Thanks...

>         We are investigating an anomaly we can not explain when updating
> to mapserv3.5.  The scale bar that is drawn under the main window has
> changed it's idea of how big things are.  That is, with the old
> mapserver it started out at full view showing each section as 460 miles
> with the full scale showing 2300 miles.  The new mapserver causes it to
> show each section as 400 miles up to 2000 for the whole scale.  Old setup,
> sections are 44mi with full scale of 220, and new setup sections are
> 39mi full scale of 195.  I'm concerned that either distance in the new
> map server is wrong, or we had been showing it wrong for a long time.

I've looked at the sources, and the only thing I saw was the computation
used image (width-1) in the old, and the new source computes with (width).
I am not sure which one is correct/accurate.

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc