[mapserver-users] PHP Vs. Cold Fusion...

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Tue Mar 12 14:08:29 EST 2002

Jessica,

No offense meant to either you or anyone else. The appropriateness of PHP
vs. CF as it relates to Mapserver is a very valid point for discussion on
this list. As I said below, at this time PHP is a better fit for
Mapscript-ing Mapserver.

A pure PHP vs. CF discussion is not only tiring but also boring. The CF
folks bad-mouth PHP, and the PHP-folks bad-mouth CF. Most of the times most
of them advocating one have never used the other.

Personally, I love CF but I will never personally buy it... my work does,
and my employer's clients do. I am relatively new to PHP, but I appreciate
it. Again, personally I will never use it to create a web-site because to
me, but some of my employer's clients use it.

PHP is the open-source replacement for CF... there is no fun in learning it.
The real pot-of-gold for me is Perl because with it I can do everything the
CF or PHP can do, but I can also do what C or shell scripting can do. And, I
can run it on just about any conceivable platform. I think I have a long way
to go before I get fluent in Perl.

In any case, I hope you now have enough info to make your Mapserver related
decisions. And if you don't, please ask again.

Good luck,

pk/