[mapserver-users] PHP Vs. Cold Fusion...

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Wed Mar 13 14:30:42 EST 2002

On Wednesday, March 13, 2002, at 12:04  PM, Jessica Anderson wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong but cold fusion cannot create shape files on
> the
> fly like php.

No Jessica,

Not in the way PHP can with Mapscript. CF has no hooks into Mapscript as
of yet. Just like the good folks at DM Solutions wrote the glue between
PHP and Mapserver via the PHP/Mapscript module, someone has to write a
CF/Mapscript module. As of now, CF has no way to munge data via
Mapscript.

However, all these methods (Perl, PHP, etc.) in the end use some other
program (for example, shapelib) to actually create the shape files. With
that concept in mind, we (a colleague of mine at my company and myself)
created a CFX tag that would create a shape. We did this a while back
when we had to figure out a way to allow users to create simple polygons
using ArcIMS. We used a Java applet to actually draw the polygons on a
backdrop of a map, then I took the coordinate stream from the Java
applet and cleaned it up using CF, then I used the CFX written by my
colleague Steve Allenstein using shapelib to have CF convert that
coordinate stream into a shapefile containing just that one shape, then
we had a batch file called using CFEXECUTE that would insert the newly
created shapefile into the master shapefiles held in ArcSDE, and then
displayed back in ArcIMS. What a ringa-ringa-roses, but it actually
worked very well and the client was satisfied. Of course, all this
nonsense would be made much simpler if there were a CF/Mapscript module.

Any takers for a new Mapserver sub-project? I don't have the C/C++
sharps (so to say), but I can provide all of my CF expertise to the
extent needed. CF has a well documented API and allows creation of
custom tags and modules using C++ or Delphi very well.

Hope this answers your question. I am cc-ing this email to the Mapserver
list as there is bound to be some interest in this somewhere.

pk/