[mapserver-users] HOWTO Split Large SHP Files

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Fri Mar 15 13:13:37 EST 2002

Does mapserver utilize shape file spatial indexes?  I know at least in
arcview that you can create an index on the "shape" field.   Would this
work for Luca?

                    Luca Pescatore
                    <info at pescatoreluca.com>            To:     Stephen Woodbridge
                    Sent by:                             <woodbri at swoodbridge.com>
                    owner-mapserver-users at lists.g       cc:     mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu
                    is.umn.edu                          Fax to:
                                                        Subject:     Re: [mapserver-users] HOWTO Split
                                                         Large SHP Files
                    03/15/2002 07:46 AM

>Luca,
>I don't think there is a general tool to do that, but if you know C it
>is pretty easy to use shplib to write utility to read the shape file and
>dump specific records to different files. You can also do this using
>Perl and the XBase and shplib addins.
Argh! my perl Knowledge is very bad! I can try to do something in PHP, but
i don't know
very well PHP Class for MapServer, and i don't know how to split lines (my
shapefile uses) in
small pieces. If someone may help me i can do that and put this piece of
code to GPL.

>Why do you want to split the file?

You can test at this address : 195.219.123.15 (in few week will be
protected by login/pwd)

At maximum zoom get a lot of time for displaying roads.

My Machine is :
AMD Athlon 1 Ghz
512 Mb RAM
100 Gb IDE

At this moment i have tried to get some info for testing performances, nxt
Week i
will upgrade to 1 Gb of RAM, after i will re-test with same values for
undestanding how many
%s may i increase performances with the same machine.

Every country have a set of files for displaying data, Roads are like 300
Mb for every set of file.

All Shapes get like 40 Gb of space.

>performance? have you tried building a shptree index?
Yes, it works also with a single file ? My Roads file (e.g. for northern
italy is 400 Mb), with
shptree may i get better performances ?

Best Regards,
         Luca