[mapserver-users] HOWTO Split Large SHP Files

Luca Pescatore info at pescatoreluca.com
Fri Mar 15 13:34:55 EST 2002

>Correct me if I am wrong here Luca, but your performance problems occur
>at MAXIMUM ZOOM? You have described massive shape files of 300Mb+ worth
>of roads. At maximum zoom, you should not be rendering all the roads in
>your dataset.
>It's a waste of time to render every road in your dataset,
>they will be mostly invisible. You need extract the important roads
>(highways, etc) and only display those roads at MAXIMUM zoom. Use the
>max and min scale parameters to flip from the small dataset to the
>larger dataset at an appropriate time. Build shptree's on your big
>datasets so that at smaller zooms you get good performance.
Maximum zoom loads all roads, at other levels i load only major
highways or secondary highways.

shptree have improved performances, i will put in this list some test for my
machine, i think that will be useful in future for who will implement a
mapserver.

Next Week i will put another 512 Mb of ram and i will re-test everything.

So i will get some test info without shptree indexing (512 Mb RAM), with
shptree indexing (512 Mb RAM),
without shptree indexing (1 Gb), with shptree indexing (1 Gb), without
shptree indexing
(1 Gb) and small files and without shptree indexing (1 Gb) and small files.

(I think that may be a very nice case history... kewl! :) )
I will put on my site some info about that.

Best Regards,
         Luca