[mapserver-users] HOWTO Split Large SHP Files

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Mar 15 12:27:40 EST 2002

> Luca Pescatore wrote:

> > At maximum zoom get a lot of time for displaying roads.
> >
> > My Machine is :
> > AMD Athlon 1 Ghz
> > 512 Mb RAM
> > 100 Gb IDE

Correct me if I am wrong here Luca, but your performance problems occur
at MAXIMUM ZOOM? You have described massive shape files of 300Mb+ worth
of roads. At maximum zoom, you should not be rendering all the roads in
your dataset. It's a waste of time to render every road in your dataset,
they will be mostly invisible. You need extract the important roads
(highways, etc) and only display those roads at MAXIMUM zoom. Use the
max and min scale parameters to flip from the small dataset to the
larger dataset at an appropriate time. Build shptree's on your big
datasets so that at smaller zooms you get good performance.

Good luck,
P.