[mapserver-users] HOWTO Split Large SHP Files

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Mar 15 11:41:48 EST 2002

Luca,

There are two things that you can try before you start breaking up
shapefiles:

1) create shptree indexes for all you big shape files this will speed up
mapserver because it does not have to look at every record in the shape
to see if it needs to be drawn.

2) create a tileindex which has each country in it and a shptree for the
tileindex. You will have to reference the tileindex in your layer
definitions.

Both the tileindex and the shptree will make thins MUCH faster as you
zoom in and have less and less of the overall data being display on the
map.

-Steve