[mapserver-users] HOWTO Split Large SHP Files

Vic Kelson vic at wittmanhydro.com
Fri Mar 15 13:54:55 EST 2002

Folks,

I wrote a Python script that splits a shapefile into pieces, using
pyshapelib.  It was a snap, about 15 lines of code.  I'll try to locate
the code and pass it along...

Vic.

On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 09:27, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

    Luca,

    I don't think there is a general tool to do that, but if you know C it
    is pretty easy to use shplib to write utility to read the shape file and
    dump specific records to different files. You can also do this using
    Perl and the XBase and shplib addins.

    Why do you want to split the file?
    performance? have you tried building a shptree index?

    -Steve W.