[mapserver-users] image problems

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Thu Mar 21 21:18:25 EST 2002

Now that I have the Perl mapscript module working, I tried the simple script
to create & save images from a shapefile.  I tried creating images in GIF,
JPG, and PNG formats.  You can see the results at
www.nacse.org/~keon/temp/test.html , using the shapefile from the Europe
example.  GIF output looks great, PNG looks terrible, and I can't even get
usable JPG output (can't view the JPGs in any program).  On the web page you
can see the parameters I used with the msSaveImage function.

I suspect I need to compile something differently in the MapScript Perl
module.  I pasted the current configuration below (contents from Makefile).
I don't understand why I'm even getting GIF output...I thought the latest
version of GD (which is what I'm using) doesn't support GIFs?  I must be
using something other than GD to create GIFs.  I'd really like to create
good PNGs and JPGs...I don't care so much about GIFs.  I also pasted output
from mapserv -v below, although I think that doesn't matter since I'm not
doing anything web-based...I'm just running the standalone Perl script for
testing.

I did read messages in the archive related to image quality, and GIF vs.
PNG, but couldn't find information on my problem.

Thanks for any help,
Dylan

>From mapserver_3.5/mapscript/perl/Makefile

#       DEFINE =>
q[-DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA -DUSE_EPPL -DUSE_TIFF -DUSE_JPEG -DUSE_GD_PNG -DUSE_
GD_JPEG -DUSE_GD_WBMP -DUSE_GD_FT]
#       INC => q[-I/usr/local/etc/mapserver_3.5 -I/usr/local/include]
#       LIBS =>
[q[-L/usr/local/etc/mapserver_3.5 -lmap -lgd -L/usr/local/lib -l
#       NAME => q[mapscript]
#       OBJECT => q[mapscript_wrap.o]

>From ./mapserv -v

MapServer version 3.5 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=TTF
INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=SHAPEFILE