[mapserver-users] how to map certain lat/long locations??

Scott D Cogan cogansco at msu.edu
Fri Mar 22 16:38:32 EST 2002

i am pretty new to mapserver, but i downloaded a michigan map and i tweaked
the demo so that my michigan map shapefiles shows up and i can pan and zoom.

now what i would like to do is add another layer of "sites".  i have the
lat/long coordinates of each site, and i would like them to show up on the
map with an icon such as a red square or some such thing.  ideally, i could
then click on one of these red squares and bring up information on the
corresponding site.  BUT, first things first, how do i make shapefiles given
the lat/long coordinates?  i have only PHP at my disposal, as far as writing
applications.  thanks
-scott