[mapserver-users] Problems with the Itasca demo and gifs/pngs.

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Sun Mar 31 07:51:13 EST 2002

Hello,

I've just installed mapserver-3.5 on my Redhat Linux 7.1/Apache
system.  It looks like everything I've been looking for.  However,
I've run into a problem with the demo which I can't find a solution
for in the FAQ or mailing list archives (although I may not have
searched for the correct thing there).

I edited the demo files as instructed by the demo installation
documentation (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/demo_readme.html).  When I
try to initialize the mapserver, I get the following error message:

msLoadMap(): General error message. Undefined symbol "symbols/ctyhwy.gif" in class 0 of layer ctyrdln3_anno.

I don't see that exact error message in the demo_readme
troubleshooting section, but my version of GD doesn't support GIFs, so
I thought that might be the problem anyway.  So I converted all the
GIFs in the "symbols" and "graphics" directories to PNGs, and changed
all '.gif' extensions in "demo.map" to '.png'.  Now the server will
initialize, but I don't get any images.  The images don't appear as
broken, they just don't show up.  I had similar problems once with a
web script I was writing when I didn't send the correct image headers.

Is there anything I can do to make it use PNGs instead of GIFs?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net
OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0

Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, and a dark side, and
it holds the universe together ...
		-- Carl Zwanzig