[mapserver-users] Edit database attribute

E Perik erwin at perik.nu
Mon May 6 15:09:14 EDT 2002

Hi Puneet and others,

Thanks for the input, and yes you are right Puneet that it's not a
client/server solution I am looking for and also that I was hoping some
other suggestions ;-)

It's not that that I don't trust others ;-), but I don't see Microsoft
as Open Source shipper either.

I am a true believer in Open Source, but giving it all away is like
letting the competition.....

Lowell's suggestion of perl2exe is I nice one. My code is mostly
mapscript, so I can see an advantage in that. Using PHP at the moment,
but theoretically all could be changed to Perl.

The basic idea of the Viewer/Editor is to show a simple map with
streets, houses and for instance tree's. Zooming and selecting a tree to
edit it's value's is the only functionality it should need. It will be
used by someone from another company to edit the tree's attributes in
the field.

Besides ESRI's MapObjects there is also GeoObjects from BlueMarbleGeo.
Did not see any comments regarding editing attributes, so sent them a
mail regarding that just now. MapObjects should be possible to do it,
but I did not see it being mentioned in any tutorial or help-file (yet).

The advantage of MapObjects and GeoObjects is that a program does not
need a webserver and scripting language's. Mapserver and mapscript are
capable of doing just what I intend to do and have that working fine,
but am looking for a single-application solution.

Thanks,

Erwin