[mapserver-users] Java Mapscript, trouble compiling a servlet

Andreas Hirner andreas_hirner at hotmail.com
Tue May 7 08:54:31 EDT 2002

Hello Sathis,

it looks like

>I did an rpm install of tomcat4 and it did put a
>/etc/tomcat4/conf/tomcat4.conf. If you have done other type of
>installation, it might be somewhere else. Actaully that is the file
>where you configure the JAVA_HOME variable.

OK I finally found the config file. I installed Tomcat4 via a shell script
and therefore the config file (catalina.sh) is located in the tomcat/bin
directory. I included the following line

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/directory:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

>As far as I understood, libmapscript.so and one another .so file is all
>it matters if you want to use java mapscript. It has everything needed
>within itself. I don't thing, where the mapserver is at, matters. You
>just send the path where libmapscript.so is to tomcat.

You talk a about a second .so file. I did not know there are to of them.

>Then you create a webapp and deploy it using tomcat manager. you can put
>the mapscript class files at WEB-INF/lib directory if you have them in a
>jar file or put them in WEB-INF/class/mapscript otherwise for a webapp.

This is something I got right. I put the class files in jar file called
mapscript and placed it into the WEB-INF/lib directory.

Then I tried to compile your servlet example. But I got two types of error
messages:
32. 		long image = map.prepareImage();
<------------------------> *** Error: The type of the left-hand side in this
assignment, "long", is not compatible with the type of the right-hand side
expression, "mapscript/imageObj".
35. 		layercounty.draw(map.getCPtr(),image);
<-----------------------------------> *** Error: No match was found for
method "draw(long, long)".

If I replace long with imageObj I get the following error message

<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     50.
		mapscript.msSaveImage(image,"/usr/lib/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/mapserver/"+filename,map.getImagetype(),
     51. 				map.getTransparent(),map.getInterlace(),map.getImagequality());

*** Error: No match was found for method "msSaveImage(mapscript.imageObj,
java.lang.String, int, int, int, int)".

How do I go about casting the imageObj so the the single methods are able to
use them? Or do I still have a problem with the general setup?

Thanks in advance
Andreas