[mapserver-users] SDE connect but not > once

Murray, Ross rmurray at NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Nov 1 11:27:11 EST 2002

  Although past experience would have me blame SDE almost immediately, in
the interest of thoroughness I wonder if anyone has had more thoughts on
this.  I have set up similar geology exploration applications in ArcIMS and
Mapserver. Each accesses the same shapefiles or SDE layers from remote
servers and each uses the same Oracle database for attribute data that is
displayed in a different frame using ASP. The ArcIMS app seems to work
pretty well all round, except I am severly limited to displaying what ESRI
wishes me to display. The ASP-driven MapServer app works great with
shapefiles but I am hung up on the error described below.  My SDE admin
wants to know if, when the mapserv.exe is compiled, if there are any
references to version, since odd versions of SDE won't play together?

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Lime [mailto:steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 1:09 PM
To: rmurray at NRCan.gc.ca
Cc: mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] SDE connect but not > once

Might there be something going on with the SDE side of things? MapServer
creates (and then closes) a connection for each SDE layer. If for some
reason SDE itself isn't dropping the connections that could result in
all sorts of problems. I recall seeing this here several years ago but
not recently. I'm not an SDE admin but I thought there was a tool to
look at incoming connections and that might help in diagnosing this
problem.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Murray, Ross" <rmurray at NRCan.gc.ca> 10/28/02 01:13PM >>>
I am connecting to an SDE coverage for spatial data. When initialised,
the
map showing all extents loads correctly into the mapplet (although it
is
significantly slower than a shapefile). Then I can  do what I wish
(zoom,
query, pan, print); BUT ONLY ONCE. For example, I choose a map I want
from a
drop-down list and, presto, there is the whole map in the applet. Then
zoom in to an area; poof, there is the area. Then I attempt to query a
polygon in the area and I get:

 	msSDELayerOpen(): SDE error. SE_connection_create(): Network
I/O
error. (-10)

>From this point the only thing that works is to go to a different map
or
quit. That next map will load correctly and I can pan or query or zoom,
but
I can't pan and query or query and zoom or whatever. Same error every
time.

Any thoughts?

 <<Murray, Ross.vcf>>