[mapserver-users] Shapefile and coordinate systems

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Nov 3 09:19:19 EST 2002

Tomas,

Shapefiles were not designed with anyway to identify what projection
their data is in, so the best you can do is guess based on what clues
you might have available. For example, if the data seems to fall
within values of 90>X>-90 and 180>Y-180 then it may be geographic
coordinates. Otherwise if the units are like NNNNNN.N then it is
probably in some projection. The projection used is most likely
dependent on what location on the earth the data is from as different
locales tend to use different locations.

You can use the data without knowing what the projection is with
mapserver unless you are trying to use it with other data that is
also projected AND in a different projection.

-Steve W.