[mapserver-users] Shapefile and coordinate systems

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Sun Nov 3 12:46:03 EST 2002

Tomas,

  ESRI's original shapefile specification does not call for storing the
definition of the coordinate system anywhere, so you have to know by some
other means (a metadata file? a sticky note?).

    A couple of years ago ESRI introduced a .prj file to define the
coordinate system of the shapefile (for example, ArcView 3.2 can use a .prj
file), but it is optional and a lot of data in shapefile format does not
include it.

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.