[mapserver-users] Shapefile Modification

Drew from Zhrodague drew at Zhrodague.net
Mon Nov 4 13:23:55 EST 2002

> I have some basic shapefiles of the world, and then I have tiger
> shapfiles.  The world shapefiles have some duplicated data such as US
> roads.  I'd like to trim all data within the US out of the world data.
> This seems like a somewhat common task so I am hoping there is a tool
> out there?  Something like trim north_american_highways.shp with
> usa_polygon.shp...  Hints? tips? evil vibes?

	I think ogr2ogr will do that, you'll need to have like a perl
wrapper, to compare the existing slices of the data I would think. You can
filter-out things with that utility, if I'm not mistaken.