[mapserver-users] layer transparent

Martin, Daniel DMartin at erac.com
Fri Nov 8 16:27:27 EST 2002

There are two ways to go about that, AFAIK.  They are quite different, but
it depends on what effect you are trying to achieve.

One is to use a PIXMAP symbol with a setting for TRANSPARENT:

SYMBOL
	NAME 'dither-black-25_percent'
	TYPE PIXMAP
	IMAGE dither-black-25_Percent.gif
	TRANSPARENT 1
END

In that case, the color in the palette index 1 would be transparent.

Newer versions of MapServer (not sure, I think 3.6+) support a setting in
the layer object:
LAYER
   NAME "MY LAYER"
   TRANSPARENCY 30