[mapserver-users] Map Scale

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Mon Nov 11 21:50:26 EST 2002

On Monday, November 11, 2002, at 06:32  PM, Vinko Vrsalovic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been looking at the archives, but didn't find a clear explanation
> about this issue: The scale number shown by Mapserver is measured in
> what? and in what ways it can be useful for output?

technically scale is a ratio... hence, it doesn't have units
technically. A scale of 1:xxx means 1 unit on your display (computer or
paper) represents xxx units in the real world. So, 1 pix will be xxx
pixels, 1 cm will be xxx cms, etc.

now customarily folks give different units to the different components
of scale (the numerator and denominator). For example, Brits used to
refer to 1" to 4 miles maps in olden times in India. Of course, it
means what it says... 1" on the paper map is 4 miles in the real world.

In your application you can use some Javascript to give the user
feedback of the area depicted on the display. Just use appropriate
transformations to convert pixels to relevant geographic coords.

hth.