[mapserver-users] Accessing Vertices of a Shape - PHP MapScript

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at gasai.com
Mon Nov 18 15:31:04 EST 2002

I'm trying to develop a type of geocoding application. More specifically, I
want to use geo-coded data in a PHP MapScript application. I can easily zoom
to an address range, but the next step that I want to take is to place a
"pushpin" at the estimated address location. Doing this would require that I
estimate how far along a line segment a certain address is.

What I had in mind was to sequentially work through the xy values of the
vertices for the line segment in question, calculating percent distance
along the line as I go, in order to determine where to place the push-pin.

It doesn't look like there's a way to access the vertices information of a
shape object in MapScript... anybody have any other ideas on how to do this?

Chip Hankley